Legal victory for Johnny Depp against his ex-wife Amber Heard

Actor Johnny Depp on Wednesday won a resounding legal victory against Amber Heard in a US court, although jurors concluded that the former spouses had defamed each other in the press, after a bitter lawsuit that revealed the glamorous privacy of two Hollywood celebrities.

After about thirteen hours of deliberation, the seven jurors at the Fairfax court, near Washington, ruled that the title and two passages from a grandstand, published in 2018 by Amber Heard in washington postcontained defamatory remarks about the star of The Pirates of the Caribbean and awarded him $ 15 million in compensation.

Clearly, these five men and two women unanimously believed that Amber Heard had made false statements by describing herself as a victim of domestic violence and that she had acted “with malicious intent”although she did not name her ex-husband in this text.

The 36-year-old actress, who was present in court, welcomed the verdict with a serious face and pretended to charge the blow. Absent from the courtroom Wednesday, Johnny Depp, 58, responded to him in the form of a message posted on Instagram. “The jury brought me back to life”he welcomed. “The best has not yet come, and a new chapter has finally opened”he added.

He had assured that he had never raised the hand of a woman during the trial, which lasted six weeks and offered an uncompromising dive into the intimacy of the two Hollywood stars. Johnny Depp believed the published platform had ruined his reputation and career, demanding $ 50 million in compensation.

Amber Heard, who especially performed in Justice League and Aquamanhad counter-attacks and demanded double, believing that three statements from a former lawyer for Johnny Depp daily Daily mail in 2020, in turn, was defamatory. The jury only answered in the affirmative to one of them and awarded two million dollars in compensation to the actress.

“Disappointment”

Mrs. Heard confided in her “unspeakable disappointment”. She explains in a press release:

“I am devastated that the mountain of evidence was not sufficient to address my ex – husband’s far greater power, influence and takeover. […]. I am even more disappointed with what this verdict means for other women. It’s a setback. It challenges the idea that violence against women should be taken seriously. “

Johnny Depp was on tour in the UK, where he attended several concerts with British singer Jeff Beck. In front of the court, a few dozen people cheered over the publication of the verdict. In his statement, Johnny Depp praised “outflow of love” expressed by the hundreds of fans who lined up every day in the courtroom and at the entrances to the court in support of him.

The lawsuit, which aired live on television, resulted in an unpacking of the couple’s privacy in front of millions of viewers worldwide. Dozens of hours of testimony and audio or video recordings have revealed details of their controversial relationship, far removed from the glamor of Hollywood, between 2011 and 2016.

Difficulty campaign

The actress told that Johnny Depp was becoming one “tosse” under the influence of an explosive cocktail of drugs and alcohol and refused to go to rehab. He would have raped her by using a bottle of alcohol a month after their marriage, in March 2015, in Australia, where the actor was filming episode 5 of Pirates. That day, Johnny Depp got the end of a finger cut and was hospitalized. He claims it’s because of glare from a bottle thrown by Amber Heard. She says he hurt himself.

After another altercation in May 2016, in which Johnny Depp allegedly threw a phone in her face, she filed for divorce due to domestic violence. Since then, she says, she became the target of a smear campaign on social media that wiped out her career. The actor has meanwhile condemned the accusations “ridiculous” and assured that, on the contrary, it was his wife who was violent.

This lawsuit, for a civil court, sounds like revenge for Johnny Depp, who had his injury case rejected in London in 2020 against the tabloid The sunwho called him “violent man”. The two actors each claim to have lost between $ 40 and $ 50 million in fees since the announcement of the grandstand.

Leave a Comment