The time of work at the Châtelet d’Orléans school, the children will be transferred to the Segelle school, the parents refuse

“There is an incredible relaxation on the part of the town hall. We ask that we be listened to and discussed. Walking 2.4 kilometers with a three-year-old child takes an hour“, rebellion Emmeline Ballot and Laurent Bihl, representatives of parents of students from the Châtelet kindergarten, in the old center, near the garden of the Charpenterie.

What makes them so angry ?? “The parents, educational teams and the leisure center, the representatives of the school council were summoned by the town hall to an extraordinary meeting in February. The direction of education and the technical services of the town hall told us presented a document to say that they planned insulation work for the school in 2023-2024, with a completion time of 2 to 4 years”They explain, insisting that they are committed to doing this work.

How Orléans, Fleury-les-Aubrais and Other Big Cities Want to Reinvent School Yards to Make It Cooler Article reserved for subscribers

An online signature collection

On the other hand, as the school will not be able to be inhabited by the children during the construction period, the parents dispute the solution that the town hall has presented to them: “They propose to move the classes and the leisure reception to Pierre -Segelle school is 25 minutes walk away , and there is no public transport, no bike path ”, criticizes the parents.

More and more inclusive games, in the urban area of ​​Orleans, intended for children with disabilities

Another problem, according to them, in the organization of daily family life: “It is a school where there are many siblings, the older children are educated in Ducerceau. We chose to stay in the hypercenter. Many parents have no means of transportation.“They also think of all the parents, for example traders, who have enrolled their child in this school thanks to a departure from the school card.

Faced with the anger that had been aroused after this meeting, they asked for a meeting with City Hall, which took place in May. And am annoyed at having recently received one letter indicating that work will begin this September. So they launched an online signature collection.

New meeting

Chrystel de Filippi, education assistant, recognizes a date error on this letter and assures: “It will be fine in September 2023.” And to say, “They say it’s 2.4 km, but it’s 1.6 km. We’re not doing this to annoy them. The children are cooking, we have to do some work. Since it’s a school, “not very accessible, we can not do lessons at the same time. We have offered them to set up a bus. They argue that it will cut them off from the educational team”, laments the assistant, who clarifies that various options have been explored.

“The Pierre-Segelle school is the best solution because everything is adapted. We have an empty building and a school canteen large enough to feed all the children, “she said.

The parents suggest a move of the classes to the Ducerceau school, which is closer. “There is not enough room for the courses,” replies Chrystel de Filippi prefabricated, with unpleasant conditions for children for two years, and which would cost more than a million euros. There is not enough space in the canteen. Some children have to eat at 11, others at 14. There are no small sanitary facilities for kindergarten children. If they have a better solution, we will listen. “

“We heard their travel problems, the bus seemed to us like a good solution. We made it to the Kergormard school in La Source, where the families do not have a car, it went well. It is true that it changes habits, but some children can be driven by car, ”she explains. A new meeting between parents and town hall services is scheduled for June 24.

Cindy Roudier-Valaud

Leave a Comment