A lawsuit has been filed in the United States against six of the thirteen children in the Turpin family against Riverside County and the agency in charge of the foster family, where they were placed after being rescued from the clutches of their parents.
They thought they had finally escaped the worst. Detained for years by their parents, forbidden to leave their homes, victims of humiliation and abuse, the Turpin children went through a new nightmare after being placed in foster care. U.S. media reported Wednesday that two lawsuits have been filed by six of the 13 survivors of the horror houses, one against Riverside County, the other against the private agency in charge of nursing homes that were to take care of them. The children claim they were abused while in care after being rescued by police. The complaints indicate “sexual, physical and emotional” abuse. They add that the agency was aware that the foster family should not have been allowed to care for the Turpin children due to a history of “abuse and neglect”. Despite this information, the agency left the children in their custody. One of the children is said to have alerted several social workers to whom she would have asked for help. In vain.
“The thirteen Turpin children endured the most heinous assault Riverside County has ever seen. After these vulnerable children were released, they were placed by the county at the CHILDNET office of a family known for their abuse. It is more than shocking that the county and CHILDNET have allowed these children to be horribly abused again, the family lawyer told NBC4 News. “At present, our organization is not free to disclose facts or discuss the allegations in the complaint. We look forward to providing this information at the appropriate time in court. Our agency has been serving California’s most vulnerable and traumatized youth for over 50 years. We have strong care experience and continue to demonstrate our commitment to these children, “ChildNet Youth and Family Services said in a statement.
“The public deserves to know”
It was on January 14, 2018 that the lives of the Turpin children, then aged 2 to 29, changed. That day, Jordan, one of the then 17-year-old sisters, managed to escape from the house where she had been trapped for years by her parents, in California. “I live in a family of 15 people and our parents are abusing us,” she told the emergency services by telephone after reaching outside for help. “My parents are violent. My two little sisters are currently chained … they are chained to their bed. We live in dirt. Sometimes I wake up and can not breathe because of the dirt in our house. Our parents will not let “Some have asked to be able to work, but they refuse every time,” she added.
A total of 13 children and young adults were held captive for years until the arrest of the couple, who in 2019 were sentenced to life in prison with a 25-year security sentence. In February 2019, they had pleaded guilty to 14 charges, including torture or imprisonment. “I want to say I’m sorry for everything I’ve done. I love my children … I pray for my children every day. I’m really sorry for all the harm I’ve done. I love them more “As you can imagine,” the mother said during her trial. While adult children had a court-appointed public guardian manage their health care, food, safety, housing and education, minors were placed by the county. ABC reported as early as January last year. abuse, they allegedly suffered from their foster family.The chain conducted a study that explained that the state, which should normally have provided all the necessary support to support them, did not fulfill its obligations. “The public deserves to know what their government does and does not, and how we failed these victims, “Riverside County District Attorney Mike Hestrin said at the time.” It is inconceivable to me that we have had the worst case of child abuse, arguably the most horrific in California. one’s history, but still we are not able to provide them with basic necessities, “he added.