Animals suffer from heat waves and high heat in general, almost more than humans. These few tips and items can help you better manage these high heat episodes with your companions.
The heat wave does not only affect humans. The animals suffer just as much, and if they are exposed to too much heat like the one France is experiencing this summer – with a new episode in the first week of August – they may lack the means to tell you about their discomfort. It is therefore up to you to take care of their well-being.
A few simple gestures and smart items can help you look after your companions in hot weather.
Things to know to protect animals from the heat wave
It seems obvious, but don’t expose your pet unnecessarily by accident. If he has to stay at home during a heat wave, some precautions can be taken, as animals do not regulate their temperature, like us, by sweating.
- SPA reminds e.g that heat exposure can be serious for older or sick dogs. A house that is too hot during the day can be fatal for them. If your office has air conditioning, why not bring them along?
- This advice is even more valid in the case of cars: do not leave an animal in a closed car, even in the shade, even for 5 minutes. The temperature rises very quickly and there are still too many accidents. Some cars, like Teslas, have a “dog mode” that keeps the cabin at a livable temperature.
- Minimize training and excursions during the hottest periods : prefer morning excursions or at night.
- For small animals such as rabbits and rodents, do not hesitate to multiply the access points to the water — In addition to the bottles sold in the market, small bowls of water, a more natural way of drinking, can be placed at their convenience. The idea is that the water stays cool. If you do not see them drinking, you can also exceptionally give them watery fruits – melon or watermelon (which, we remind you, cannot constitute a normal diet, but only sweets).
- Do you have a balcony, garden or terrace, think of wild animals, also sensitive to heat : on FranceInfo, the association Faune Alfort, which is attached to the veterinary clinic, recommends leaving a plate of water available, especially in the city, where water points are rarer.
It should be noted that the presence of an animal in a closed vehicle may present an unusual scenario where you can break a window to free it. However, be careful: it is advisable to ascertain the animal’s apparent condition. Does he look like he’s suffering from the heat? Does he have water on the seat? Is there an opening to let in an air flow? Or is it a Tesla with dog mode?
” If you feel the situation is urgent […], you can break a window to save the animal. It is recommended to surround yourself with at least 2 witnesses who will be able to testify in good faith if a case is subsequently raised by the owner of the car. ” explains the Ministry of the Interior. It may also be better to call the police first, to let them intervene.
And above all, make sure the owner does not arrive or is around!
Items that help cool pets
In addition to air conditioning, a double-edged sword par excellence because it alleviates as much as it exacerbates the situation, a few technological or non-technological items can help support animals during heat waves. They will never replace careful monitoring of the people they live with: you.
As SPA notes, cooling “from below” is more effective than cooling “from above”: it is smarter to cool an animal’s legs and belly than its back or head. A cold mattress for an animal to lie on is therefore a good idea: dozens of them are sold on Amazon, but this model, sold in several sizes, caught our attention. We observed two behaviors: total acceptance of the intended use (a dog lying on it) or diversion because the animal did not like the material. In the latter case, the object still has an effect: the dog lies down next to it and takes advantage of the cold.
A water fountain, in addition to filtering water, has incentive properties for dogs and cats. We can only recommend PetSafe’s reference model, quiet and large enough for dogs to drink without worry. On the other hand, continue to offer more natural alternatives to your animals so that they do not lose the habit of, for example, drinking from a cup.
The Aquapaw is designed as a grooming tool, but in hot weather it can be useful if your pet is very hot and doesn’t like water. This is a shower head that attaches to a shower or outdoor water outlet and allows you to wet an animal in a more reassuring way than with a bath or jet, as you remain in contact with it.
The Nest Cam is an excellent surveillance camera for pets. Google’s algorithms even make it possible to precisely monitor their movements in your apartment, by setting an alarm when it detects animal movements.
In fact, this allows anyone who has to leave a pet at home to make sure everything is okay and react in real time in case of a problem, or to alert a neighbor. Especially useful when weather conditions are extreme.
Other connected surveillance cameras will do just fine: the important thing is to be able to see the streaming on your smartphone or computer at all times.
No, we are not serious. However, the Teslas have a well-designed dog mode (which can be a cat/rabbit mode to suit you): it alerts passers-by that your dog is safe in your vehicle, while maintaining an ideal temperature.
You will find all information about the Tesla series in this article.